08 April 2010

Misled by the weatherman

It's a cliche that style bloggers talk about the weather a lot, and no wonder: in addition to all the other factors that influence how we dress, environment is a huge consideration. Even people who swear they "don't care about how they dress" take heat, humidity and precipitation into account.

So people who think and talk about fashion a lot tend to focus on the weather a bit. We develop a close, personal relationship with out weather forecasters, reacting with jubilation when the weather cooperates with our outfits ("Sunny and warm tomorrow? Hooray, I wanted to wear my new sundress!") and grouchiness when the forecasts interfere with our plans ("Whaddaya mean, rain tomorrow? I wanted to wear my suede boots!) or, worse yet, wrong.

Today, for example, was supposed to be quite a bit cooler than it actually was, so I dressed appropriately:
today's outfit, WIWT, vest, dress, skirt, sandals, pearls
Pinstriped vest: Ann Taylor Loft
Bunny print dress: Erin Fetherston for Target, thrifted
Polka-dot skirt: Ann Taylor Loft
Shoes: John Fluevog, "Summertime" (style uncertain), remixed
Pearls: gift from Fabulous Husband
Alice band: cut-out T-shirt neckband

The dress (lined) plus skirt (also lined) plus vest (you guessed it, lined) was just fine first thing in the morning, but got a little oppressive as the day wore on.
today's outfit, vest, dress, skirt, sandals, flowering plum tree

Despite the climatic inappropriateness, I like the vaguely Victorian carnival feel of this dress and the mix of patterns. Yes, the print on the dress is tiny bunnies! I think I'll revisit this look in cooler weather with fun tights and either a coordinating tee underneath or a nip-waisted blazer over.

today's outfit, WIWT, vest, dress, pearls

Fabulous Husband was offended, on deep, basic levels, by the fact that I didn't have a Set of Pearls. As far as he's concerned, every woman should have some. So while we were out trawling our local antiques store this past weekend, we came across these. I thought they were a bit too big and '50s-housewifeish for my comfort, but he sweet-talked me into them. I'm very glad, and I've become quite fond of them. I like them best in non-traditional combinations, like with this outfit or a military jacket and skinny jeans.

As for the headband, I cut the necklines out of most T-shirts I own: crew necks are just too tight and restrictive, even for the gym! Actually, they're especially bad for the gym: the last thing I want when I'm working up a sweat is a piece of fabric tight around my neck, making me even hotter. I've discovered that the neckbands from T-shirts are the perfect size and just stretchy enough to work as headbands. Why go out any buy special purpose-made ones when I've got some that would otherwise be waste? If you like to trim the sleeves off T-shirts, I've heard they work this way too, at least the more voluminous ones.

So what about you, Fabulous Readers? Has a forecast ever misled you into an outfit that, while otherwise flattering, fell flat because of the weather?

1 comment:

  1. I always want to wear suede boots when it's going to rain. Why? It's some kind of Murphy's Law.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated to reduce spam, so don't worry if they don't show up right away!