01 April 2010

Double Dog Dare Denim

I'm not usually the type to do things on a dare. Even as a teenager, peer pressure never had much effect on me.

WendyB got to me, though, with her dare to, essentially, the whole world to wear denim-on-denim looks. When I saw her original post on the subject, I felt a sense of inevitability creep over me. I knew what was going to happen: I'd boldly declare "Head-to-toe denim? What is this, 1986? I think not!" then, six months later, sheepishly find myself prowling thrift stores for the perfect denim shirtdress and hoping no-one would notice.

After I saw her latest post rounding up other fab bloggers in denim-heavy looks, I figured I cut out the  self-denial, hypocrisy, and awkwardness and cut right to the chase.
Jacket: Calvin Klein Jeans, Century 21, remixed
Purple tee: Tahari, TJMaxx, remixed 
Silk hand-dyed tank: Reyen Design Studios
Denim belt: thrifted
Denim mini: Old Navy, remixed
Crescent moon necklace: gift from Fabulous Husband, remixed
Knot pin with purple stones: thrifted
Boots: John Fluevog, "F-Sole: Baby Ruth" (?)
I wasn't entirely happy with this outfit, but the denim wasn't the reason at all. I actually liked the mixture of different washes quite a bit. 

No, the issue with this outfit was purely structural - the skirt and tee rode up (when the tee wasn't catching on the pocket flaps of the skirt), the tank, being shorter than the tee, bunched under the belt, and the belt tried to unbuckle itself at the most inopportune moments. I started out the day with a different purple-stoned pin on the jacket, only to have it take a header when I put my purse strap on my shoulder. 

Oh well. They can't all be winners, right?

Structural issues aside, I ended up much happier with the denim-on-denim combination than I thought I would be. I don't know if I'll ever quite get to the level of wearing jeans and a denim work shirt in combination, but I will be keeping my eye out for just the right denim dress.

Now let's see if I can pull off yarn in my hair!

1 comment:

Comments are moderated to reduce spam, so don't worry if they don't show up right away!