27 April 2010

Pattern madness

Up until recently, I was terrified of wearing patterns at all, let alone several in combination.

today's outfit, WIWT, Target flowered chemise, Theory tank, skirt, Fluevog shoes, Sock Dreams OTKs, trench coat
Floral chemise: Liberty of London for Target, remixed 
Pink layering tank: Theory, thrifted, remixed
Polka-dot skirt: Ann Taylor Loft
White-and-gold belt: thrifted, remixed
White trench: Daisy Fuentes, thrifted, remixed
OTK socks (cuffed): Sock Dreams "O Chevrons" (discontinued color)
Beige platform shoes: John Fluevog "Pin-ups" (style unknown), remixed
Bronze flower necklace, thrifted, remixed
Bronze and green medallion earrings, gift
Silk scarf (worn as headband): gift from mom

You'd never guess it to look at me today, huh?


In fashion as in many other things in life, I've learned to ignore fear. It can be crippling. I was terrified to blog - afraid I'd meet with derision, that I'd be completely ignored, that crazy Internet stalkers would come out of the woodwork and make my life hell.

Needless to say, none of that has happened. I love every one of you, Fabulous Readers, and I deeply appreciate the wonderful comments you leave - they make me think and they make me feel like I'm part of a community.

closeup, scarf in hair

The only times I've ever gotten anywhere in life are when I've gone out on a limb, swallowed my fear, and taken a metaphorical leap off a cliff. It's scary to walk up to a perfect stranger at all, let alone ask him or her for a favor - but that's how I ended up interning at DC comics while I was doing my BA degree. I saw a guy in a coffee shop wearing a jacket with the DC logo on the back, went up to him, and asked him if he worked for the company. My heart was in my mouth the whole time.

Much to my surprise, he didn't throw his coffee in my face, complain to the manager, or give me a funny look and walk away. We had a nice little chat, and I walked away with a piece of paper scribbled with a name and phone number for a contact in the editorial department. Man, was that a fun semester!

trench and patterned outfit, pattern matching

 This outfit is the same way. There's a lot going on: five or six different patterns, a lot of colors, and some pretty unusual shapes. If I'd played it safe, I'd wear maybe one patterned item at a time - maybe two at the most. But I threw caution to the wind, and I think it turned out pretty OK.

I keep wearing this white trench with the Liberty of London florals, even though I don't like how stoop-shouldered it makes me look (darn raglan seams!). I think I like the clarity of the white in contrast with the busy, intensely colorful prints.

cute socks with sandals

I think the socks and sandals look particularly good together - I love the blue and beige combo, and the laciness of the socks with the solidity of the wedge heel!

What sorts of things do you have to feel bold and daring to wear? What's your "out on a limb" fashion?

3 comments:

  1. I love the skirt layering here! In fact, I really like everything about this outfit, except for the headband with it. I feel like the headband distracts from all the gorgeous pattern and color mixing going on elsewhere. I hope this doesn't offend.

    I'll give pretty much anything a try when I'm just at home or when I'm going out about town, but I must admit that I fear layering skirt when I'll be in the classroom. I also will not wear the schoolgirl or schoolboy look on campus. I just can't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No offense taken! I wasn't too happy with the headband either, but it was the only way to control my wayward, just-washed hair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love everything about this outfit! I think is very Lolita-styled, just perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated to reduce spam, so don't worry if they don't show up right away!